June 23, 2008

The Big Cack-A-Roo

George Carlin is really fucking dead. No shit.

Of course, there are those who maintain that he died years ago, and there are times when I've watched his later work that I almost agreed. But let's not get into criticism. If he can't get a break in his obituary, where the fuck can he?

Like many of us "of a certain age," Carlin opened my eyes to free-speech issues with his "7 words you can't say on television."

The first time I ever heard his work, my friend Tom brought over his album "On The Road." And I was hooked.

"Oh, by the way, you're all going to die. I didn't meant to remind you of it, but it is on your schedule!

"When I die, I don't want to go through that funeral shit. Hey, you become more popular than you've ever been your whole life. People say the nicest things about you. They make shit up if they have to: 'He was an asshole - but a well-meaning asshole!'

"I don't want to be buried when I die. And I don't want to be cremated either. I want to be BLOWN UP!"

"I say, if you're going to die, die big. Entertain those you leave behind. "

Here's a later clip of George on death and dying:

No comments:

Post a Comment