April 23, 2008

Update on Tri-Rail funding

I've been keeping track of Florida House Bill 1245: Regional Transport Funding and Senate Bill 1512: Relating to Transportation and Transit Authorities. Basically, these bills would secure a portion of fees tacked onto car rentals in South Florida, and deposit them into the operating accounts of the South Florida Regional Transportation Authority.

It's important to residents of South Florida to ensure that Tri-Rail continues operating at its full capacity, especially in the face of $4.00 a gallon gasoline. I've already gone on the record with my own savings. It's not chicken feed. If you're commuting across county lines, you can save some serious money by taking the train.

House Majority Leader Adam Hasner sent me the following update:
Today, the Florida House of Representatives unanimously passed House Bill 1245 - Regional Transportation Authorities. The bill will now move to the Florida Senate for consideration. I encourage you to continue your commitment to helping secure funding for Tri-Rail by contacting Senator Steven Geller and ask him to pass House Bill 1245.
You might make the assumption that Adam Hasner contacted me because I'm particularly active in politics: I assure you, I am not. I don't belong to a political party, I don't have funds available to donate to candidates; I'm just a working stiff who drives a used car and rents an apartment.

So how did I come to get updates from the House Majority Leader of Florida? I filled out THIS FORM, conveniently provided by the South Florida Regional Transport Authority. That automatically sent a letter to all the representatives for this area. Ron Saunders, the rep for District 12o, suggested I email Rep. Hasner, and I've been in the loop ever since.

We truly live in an amazing country, where any of us can have a direct impact on those who are making our laws and governing on our behalf.

So join me in contacting Senator Geller. It's past time for South Florida to secure its mass transit system.

No comments:

Post a Comment